The Division of Neurological Sciences acts as the Swiss National Reference Laboratory for Transmissble Spongifrom Encephalopathies in animals and as one of the OIE Reference laboratories for BSE and Scrapie. The tasks of the reference labaoratories are:
- Application orientated research
- Confirmatory diagnostics of clinical and laboratory suspect cases of TSE in animals
- Development, validation and evaluation oif laboratory tests for TSEs
- Assistance in continuous education of veterinarians and regulatory bodies
- Provision of reference materials
The reference laboratory closely collaborates with national and international partner institutions.